2006年12月19日星期二

高手的境界(一)

看了姚克翻译、思果评述的《推销员之死》。姚克先生的中英文果然棒。下面摘引几句,细细体会。

  • He is a stolid man, in his sixties, with a mustache and an authoritative air.
    姚克译文:他是个木讷的老人,年纪六十多岁。上唇一撮小胡子,俨然有一呼百诺的气概……
  • I got an awful scare.
    我都吓傻了。
  • Just to know that there's still a posibility for better things.
    他只想知道:瓦片儿也有翻身的日子。
  • I'm tryin'
    我在试着步儿
  • I just can't take hold, Mom. I can't take hold of some kind of life.
    我就是扎不下根儿,妈。我不能死钉坑儿的过着一种生活。
  • What the hell do you know about it?
    你懂得个什么屁?
  • Linda: Last month...(With great difficulty) Oh, boys...
    上个月……(嗫嚅地)欧,孩子们,……
  • I'm ashamed to.
    我觉得不好意思。
  • You don't raise a guy to a responsible job who whistles in the elevator!
    在电梯上吹口哨的人,你不会把他升级做抓权的工作的!
  • Without some smart cooky gettin' up ahead of you!
    不用担心让机灵鬼的同事抓了尖儿!
  • It's not what you say, it's how you say it-- because personality always wins the day.
    你说什么都没关系,要紧的是你怎么个说法儿——因为唯有风度好,才能够无往不利。
  • All of a sudden everything falls to pieces! Goddam plumbing, oughta be sued, those people. I hardly finished putting it in and the thing...
    一晃眼儿什么东西都坏了!雷劈了这安水管的,这些人——应该告他们一状。刚安装好,这牢什子……
据说姚克先生中英文俱佳,30年代曾写英文文章推介鲁迅的作品。看了他的译文,才知道什么叫中英文融会贯通。这本书确实是学对话翻译的好教材。

没有评论: